Visit Konza Prairie
Located in the Flint Hills of northeastern Kansas, Konza Prairie Biological Station is a native tallgrass prairie preserve owned by The Nature Conservancy and Kansas State University and managed as a field research station by the K-State Division of Biology. Our three-fold mission includes long-term ecological research, education and prairie conservation. Limited access is granted to visitors due to on-going plant, animal, water and soils research being conducted throughout the 8,600-acre site.
Visitors to Konza Prairie are allowed on our hiking trails from dawn to dusk, weather and trail conditions permitting. Konza Prairie's hiking trails are a destination for thousands of visitors each year, especially during the peak wildflower seasons of June and September. Guided tours, available by reservation, inform visitors about the tallgrass prairie ecosystem and ecological research at Konza Prairie. Trail maintenance and education programs are supported by Friends of Konza Prairie.
- Explore the tallgrass prairie at your leisure on our hiking trails.
- Learn more about the biological research station during a public event.
- Bring your group, organization or family for an educational tour.
Please come prepared to experience the prairie environment. There is no water available on the trails, little shade and often a lot of wind. Check the weather forecast and dress appropriately. Close-toed walking shoes and plenty of water are recommended. Other important outdoor protection includes: insect repellent, a hat, and sunscreen.
Help preserve the tallgrass prairie
The grasslands of North America are among the most endangered ecosystems on this continent. Less than 4 per cent of the tallgrass prairie remains unplowed or undeveloped. Your help in preserving this natural environment and protecting the research activities conducted on Konza Prairie is greatly appreciated. Over 100 scientists have research projects on-site. Please do your part to keep this protected area open for all to enjoy.
Continued access to Konza Prairie depends on your cooperation by observing the following rules:
- Remain on designated roads and trails at all times.
- Collection or removal of flowers, rocks, feathers, or other materials from the conservation area is prohibited.
- Smoking, including inside buildings and vehicles, or any open flame is prohibited.
- Pack it in, pack it out. Disposal receptacles and picnic areas are not available on the trail.
- Dogs and horses are not permitted on-site.
- Our trails are for hiking only. Bicycles and motorcycles are not permitted.
- Camping or overnight parking is prohibited.
- Advance reservation is required to enter Konza Prairie Station Headquarters.